Calling on all stakeholders to take immediate need for action on two items proposed by the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services:
- Please don’t reduce Community Services Funding below the current $10 million reduction proposed by the House Budget. These funds support services provided to families, children, veterans and our most vulnerable citizens. Community Services Funding includes funds due to return to the State/Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Substance Abuse Services from the Local Management Entities, as was stipulated in last year’s budget.
- Please return the $2,258,000 removed from the Drug Treatment Courts proposed by the House Budget. Drug treatment courts are specialized community courts designed to help stop the abuse of drugs, alcohol, and related criminal activity. Non-violent offenders who have been charged with simple possession of drugs are given the option to receive treatment instead of a jail sentence. These courts offer an alternative to incarceration and have shown to be effective in returning individuals to being a productive part of society.
What can I do?
- Please contact the members of the Senate Appropriations Committee on Health and Human Services asking them to remove the House’s proposed $2,258,000 reduction to Drug Courts and to prevent further reduction of the $10 Million dollars in line for “Community Services Funding”.
- Your action can make the difference!
Senate Appropriations Committee on Health and Human Services
Sen. Stan Bingham,Co-Chairman
(919)733-5665 / Stan.Bingham@ncleg.net
Sen. Andrew C. Brock,Co-Chairman
(919)715-0690 / Andrew.Brock@ncleg.net
Sen. Ralph Hise,Co-Chairman
(919)733-3460 / Ralph.Hise@ncleg.net
Avery, Haywood, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Yancey
Sen. Louis Pate,Co-Chairman
(919)733-5621 / Louis.Pate@ncleg.net
Greene, Pitt, Wayne
Sen. Austin M. Allran
(919) 733-5876 / Austin.Allran@ncleg.net
Sen. Doug Berger
(919)715-8363 / Douglas.Berger@ncleg.net
Franklin, Granville, Vance, Warren
Sen. Fletcher L. Hartsell, Jr.
(919)733-7223 / Fletcher.Hartsell@ncleg.net
Sen. Eric Mansfield
(919) 733-9349 / Eric.Mansfield@ncleg.net
Sen. William R. Purcell
(919) 733-5973 / William.Purcell@ncleg.net
Anson, Richmond, Scotland, Stanly
Sen. Bill Rabon
(919)733-5963 / Bill.Rabon@ncleg.net
Brunswick, Columbus, Pender