The NC Senate’s budget proposal would direct the Program Evaluation Division (the General Assembly’s research arm) to study the pros and cons of diverting ABC Commission funds that presently go to DHHS for Substance Abuse Prevention efforts, and instead having those funds stay with the ABC Commission to fund a new youth alcohol use prevention effort. Under this proposal, the Program Evaluation Division would submit its findings to the legislature by February 2015, and the funds could be diverted as soon as July 1, 2015.
The NC House is now debating the NC Senate budget. We urge you to contact NC House members THIS WEEK and ask them to reject this proposed study.
WHAT TO SAY
- The Addiction Professionals of NC (APNC) is opposed to any effort that might divert ABC Commission funds that presently go to DHHS substance abuse prevention efforts. This includes instructing the Program Evaluation Division to study the effects of having ABC Commission funds earmarked for prevention activities only fund a proposed ABC Commission Underage Drinking Initiative.
- The ABC Commission presently provides over $1.4 million a year to DHHS to fund a variety of prevention-oriented efforts, including but not limited to underage drinking.
- While we certainly aren’t opposed to the proposed ABC Commission Underage Drinking Initiative, diverting funds from other worthy prevention programs would dilute the impact of prevention programs geared towards drug abuse, prescription drug abuse and substance abuse disorder prevention among other populations.
- The ABC Commission Underage Drinking initiative can be funded by private resources without harming other worthy prevention efforts.
WHO TO CONTACT
We urge you to contact House member THIS WEEK to express your concerns.
In particular, we need to reach these members:
- Rep. Nelson Dollar (R-Wake) 919-715-0795 email@example.com
- Rep. Marilyn Avila (R-Wake) 919-733-5530 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Mark Hollo (R-Alexander) 919-715-8361 email@example.com
- Rep. Donny Lambeth (R-Forsyth) 919-733-5747 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Susan Martin (R-Wilson) 919-715-3023 email@example.com
If you aren’t in the district of any of the members mentioned above, please call, email or write your local Representative. You can find the name of your representative by going to the page below and about halfway down select your county: http://www.ncleg.net/representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx
Click on the name of your NC House member (don’t worry about the Senate member for now) and either call or email them. Once you have done that, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can keep a list of those members.
Thank you again for your hard work! This type of effort has worked before for APNC and will work again. Please call at (919) 606-7584 if you have questions.